Dec 18, 2008

Video Store

One more gift from our holiday journey to the tip of Manahatta—

I first saw this film years ago on television. I loved it, thought it truly stylish, and passed it on to P.M.C., who brought it up as we tipsily shuffled past the shuttered (but transparent) office buildings Tuesday night. I then read a mention of it in this v. bizarre ELLE article (do read it friends, I need your opinions). So, I tucked in and watched it once more last night. It is still really damn stylish, a thrilling lesson in 1986. We love the way everybody and every place looks, but we are a little confounded by the relationship between Basinger and Rourke (two people since proven to be bonafide lunatics and bonafide fine actors). I mean, his "sexually adventurous" financier is really just a mentally ill underminer, right? Again, do watch this friends (the whole thing if possible). I need your opinions. Aside from aesthetics, I'm bewildered.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

i have so much to say about that article i don't even know where to start...I both feel extremely sorry for that woman and think that she is a certified rere woman hater.

Alpha said...

It's a real tragedy what became of Mickey Rourke...

Able said...

i know! did his face choose to eat itself?