Oct 20, 2009

Oh Boy Oberto

I'm not a fan de etsy.com. It propagates an estilo that is twee and bad bad (to me). And a friend once showed me all of these wretched prints she'd bought on the site for to cover her new walls and honestly it sort of bothered me that she hadn't chosen some photographs of mine instead (she really could have had them for free and I know she would have liked them better because she did seem rather doubtful of the weird stuff that she'd gathered online). And maybe she could have made her own wall-hangings. She's creative and resourceful and took some painting classes in college. I'm being a snob. Hand-made things are beautiful, marketing such wares not easy, the Internet a fine solution. And I might find a decent knit hat here and there (if I could manage to wade through all of the damn ye-olde-gifte-shoppe hair accessories). Honestly, the worst of it is that shopping online is such a drag.

Anyway, the notion of a site, regretsy.com, dedicated to lampooning the most earnestlyawful stuff one finds on etsy is clever and apropos. But they get it wrong too! Methinks these folk like the tweecraft, because they spend a lot of lazy energy deriding Twilight memorabilia and sculptures made by the mentally ill and/or spiritually attuned latterlifelesbians--essentially, the only good stuff one is bound to find on etsy. Comme ça:
Beauty
Truth
Beauty
Truth
Ladder of Dreams Catcher
...misguided, verdad?

note: Pillow and Pet, should we buy any of these for el castillo? The Gosselin? The glove?

2 comments:

Margaret said...

gosselin! the mj emergency went up $100 since the last time i seen 'em

Able said...

the price of that glove breaks my heart