Apr 29, 2010

"enjoy yourself all day"


It's impossible!----to read and measure originality/freshness (or freshness via originality) in the manner of the last century, in the manner of thrilling baby modernists. Because there really is so much in influence, use and reuse, total lift and quotation, mimicry, drawing up/out histories. First encounters are kinda overrated, right? And everything's original to somebody.

Last month, Pillow and Petrova insisted I listen to Trey Songz' "R. Kelly impression" on radio single, "The Neighbors Know My Name." I did, and obv they were onto something. The other night, I listened to the whole record, his third (the first two passed me by), Ready. On multiple tracks, Trey is knowable immediately; He is Robert Kelly! In passages, he is Michael too, working, presumably, in the season of his passing and subsequent reviewing, re-celebration. And also Trey is other and NEW. He wears his influence without a smidgen of anxiety, and naturally, is himself, an individual and a young maker of the now.
And Trey is a witch! Trey is a prince! He conjures, deals in visions, enters our rooms (?), and commands.

These three songz are BEST (to me to me)-----

"Black Roses"
gothic (like, romance)
metallic (like, headbangers...in such a mezcla, even hints of late 90s rap-rock don't phase me--no guitars!)
out of control, beyond control
a poem is tattooed over his heart

"You Belong to Me"
NEAR-EAST
arab---three wishes, MIRAGE/APPEARANCE/DISAPPEARANCE
from a booth, a chamber------BEDROOM (ours/his/HOTEL)
drugs, like psychedelics
LEDA AND THE SWAN
...
Danaë---he says, "you belong to me"--it's like Greek mythological rape with Zeus and swans and GOLD COIN and reprisals by Titian

"Brand New"
: \ˈtrōn\
'tronic ruuuunnnnnnnn
*reclining* (BASS)
SPIRITUAL UNION--SEX IS A MARRIAGE---he says, "Tonight I'm gonna be her husband."--

No comments: