Jan 16, 2009

If We Were In a Western

I just read a Scarlett Johanssen quote. She was being asked about dream roles or something. She said that every actor hopes to be in a Western (really?). She claims that she would play a madam at one of those saloon/whorehouse places, because "there's only so long people want to see me in a corset . . . blah blah blah." It led me to thinking. There are just a few plum roles for broads in frontier pictures (other than The Harvey Girls): Hooker with a Heart of Gold, Madam with a Heart Buried Beneath Years of Rough Men and Settling Dust, Virtuous, "Roman" Homesteading Wife. What role would you choose? The madam and wife have meat and purpose, are fodder for fine writing. But I still want to play the Hooker with a Heart of Gold (oh well) (blame Bob Dylan) (and Niel Young) (and Daniel Defoe).

4 comments:

Margaret said...

...And marie claire...

Alpha said...

A&P is sort of kind of completely founded by "hookers with hearts of gold" so... this corset's killing me, by the way...

Alpha said...

Also, the Tori Amos cover did me in...

Able said...

god damn marie claire. i'm glad y'all are with me.