Mar 19, 2009

Police

So, I know I shouldn't dedicate so much space to things that I dislike or disapprove of (as opposed to loves and happy discourse), but this is a blog after all and that's what blogs are made of--snips and snails and tails. Worse still, I want to lambaste another blog, Jezebel, one that I both read (God save me) and have previously attempted to rip. When I started reading the "Lady Gawker," I sought relief from Perez Hilton, from the world of gay, woman-hating nega-nega-tivity. And Jezebel certainly encouraged/encourages positivity and smart womenfolk and an embrace of high and low information. Whatever beef I have with them these days is a matter of commentors (who I should simply ignore) and one terrible, awful style blogger, a certain, Sadie. When, in my last post on this subject, I determined that the Jezebloggers have straight-up poor taste, I was referring to (among other things) this nut and her "Good, Bad, and Ugly" segment, a rundown of the red-carpets (a place usually divorced from beautiful clothes). Yesterday, Sadie unpacked the premiere of that Valentino film at MoMA. It was the clearest illustration of her crimes. She polices people, setting and encouraging the most boring, soul-wrenching NORMS. Her "Goods" are always boring, often tacky, occasionally agreeable. Her "Bads" and "Uglys" are sometimes justified, but often reveal this real fear of and revulsion over difference, strangeness, otherness, willful, funny, fun unflatteringness. Who says women have to wear appropriate and body-conscious clothes and pin-straight hair?--Sadie does. She criticizes the "power-jacket" and "Intellectual Fash" and "chutzpah." What a kill-joy. Fuck the PO-LICE.

Now I'll proceed to poach two stories (both of which will involve disapproval) from Jezebel. (I didn't say they were wholly useless, just unclever and limited in the taste-in-things department.)

No comments: