Mar 3, 2009

Reunion (Early March Jam)













Senior year of high school was awash in 50 Cent (and Cam'Ron and Lil' Kim and Missy and Jahiem and Mr. Bigg and Beyonce and Justin Timberlake and Sean Paul and Pharrell). "21 Questions" (Nate Dogg, I love your work.) was the radio song of lazy, hazy, dazy, teenage truant spring afternoons. Or, really this was...but still, hearing any of that G-Unit stuff (from between 2003 and 2006) makes me feel like a happy, dancey fool, like I want to bob my head and snap and sing the hook and drink pink wine, like I'm at a reunion, like I'm forty (or 18?), like I'm listening to a pop relic. The sound is easy and shameless and always/already past.

"Hate It or Love It" was a hit collaboration between 50 and The Game released amid stories of the rappers' (non-event) falling out. The Trammps sample and nostalgic rhymes are evocative of this general "reunion feeling-notion," the whole, familiar and right. Oh the pure, aughtsy aspirationalism of it all! Dig that last shot of the black and red limited edition U2 AIDS Ipod. GGG-G.

No comments: