May 1, 2009

13 Years Later

No Doubt performed for the first time in 5 years this morning on Today. I was curious as to what song they would choose, and when they broke out with "Spiderwebs" I was instantly taken back to the summer of '96 and their performance of the same jam at the MTV beach house. And while the Today performance left a little something to be desired (but does anyone ever sound good when they play on that show?), I was happy to see that not much has changed for these guys in the last 13 years. They still play very well together, everyone seems happy to be there (especially the audience - watch out for fainting gays!), and they look great. I'm not a big fan of Gwen's outfit, but it's a pretty good and natural evolution from her original style. And the polo buttoned up all the way is a nice, modernized nod to the chola girls who basically made her what she is today. Compare and contrast below.

2 comments:

Able said...

pants really are making a stir here. the old one is more on point, but now's the right time to hear the song again regardless of the today show's shitty set-up or gwen's chain walletisms.

Alpha said...

How is it Gwen turns 40 the same day I turn 25 this year, and she looks younger than me... I need to quit smoking...