Jun 10, 2009

For Shame






















The question on my mind this morning is: why is it okay for people to make fun of my ethnicity? And also, how are the editors at Jezebel so clueless? Yesterday, Dodai gave us a post entitled "The WASPiest Items in 'Vineyard Vines'". Now, I'll be the first to say I'm not a fan of Vineyard Vines. I find it to be a rip-off of more respectable and long-standing labels. But within the post I found suggestions of racism, classism, and downright stupidity. Seriously, Jezebel?--website founded on principles of "playing nice" and "equality for all"?

But thanks, Dodai!--I've learned a few fun things about myself. Apparently, white people of northwestern European descent who come from successful families only find it acceptable to wear ties with watermelons on them because black people are more into grape soda now. We like to wear white because we sympathize with the Ku Klux Klan. We won't even wear clothes that look like they're from discount stores because we're afraid of looking "LMC" ("lower middle class", catchy lingo!).

Honestly, I'm constantly disappointed by Jezebel, and I really have no idea why I keep reading it everyday. Maybe I'm holding out hope, because it makes me sad that such an interesting concept has turned out so whack. I thought the site was about helping women be proud of who they are are; no matter what their weight, height, education level, family background, profession, religion, hair color, skin color, or ethnic origin. So why are they constantly making me feel bad? I'm constantly ignoring posts that kind of make me want to cry (especially this one), but I can't ignore this fuckery. What are you DOING, Jezebel? Do you guys even realize how insane and racist (yes, I said it) this post is? I'm so angry, I even signed up for a commenter account. FOR SHAME!

6 comments:

Petrova said...

you have an ethnicity? ;-)

Petrova said...

are you the commenter who pointed out that this wouldn't fly if they did this with a baby phat catalog? cause that's the truth. i'm generally down with making fun of everyone's ethnicity but there's a mean undertone to dodai's post.

Able said...

i came up against this shit in that classist gawker bitchfight...i'll post it now...
these people, all of the bloggers under nick denton's umbrella, are full of bile, enemies of young, white rich people everywhere.

Able said...

also...they were way out of line here. jesus.

Margaret said...

haha everyone has ethnicity, yo! and no that wasn't me - they didn't post my comments! and word on making fun of everyone, but unfortunately it's only acceptable to make fun of WASPs.

Petrova said...

hahahahaha gracie do you need me to make charts and graphs to show you how obscenely rich a person who makes $500,000 a year is? did i read something wrong there? were you joking?