Mar 29, 2010

Last week (even though Alexa Chung was on the cover and it cost $10.oo), I bought a British Vogue at Port Authority.
In high school, Brit Vogue was my favorite Vogue, because I didn't read French and because Diana Vreeland's autobiography and a lot of other books and a night at Aspinall's and a lunch at Fortnum & Mason of shepherd's pie and banana milkshake and a Grazia magazine and a tallboy of cider had convinced me that I was destined for London, for the Courtauld and a bespoked, coldfish husband or something. I've changed my mind. London is grey and far and trashy without the BIG and convenience store of home (what I mean is: trashy but not as good at being trashy as here and also without nice malls and Walmarts and a million other things like deserts and baseball [not cricket]). And fashion magazines will never thrill me and inform me, as they did when I felt like a nervous and hopeful pre-debutante of the World; I can no longer see "blue skies ahead" in an accessories feature.
But Brit Vogue's still charming and dippy with like five Kate Moss covers per annum and a lot of fine little things you can buy at Liberty and reporting on new Airbus airplanes.
There was no interview with Alexa Chung, just four pictures of her in denim alongside an article about denim and romance of/with/in America. There was a whole lot about loving America in general, which is like 'sure YESS!' and very sweet.
A funny feature called, "Going Out vs. Staying In" imaged and styled two groups of female friends: a set of wealthy daughters-of-soandso, one of whom runs a public relations firm another who owns a new, swank nightclurrrb (our age! what?) in black leather, the other crowd, a bit younger, piling into a house in the far suburbs Upriver, models and musicians in vintage babydoll dresses and socks. The thing didn't stink of class-problems; mostly 'cause the "posh" girls were sort of Sex and the City and naff, yawn, nightclurrrb? And the girls in this Victorian house out-of-town were adorable and hip and inhabiting authentically beautiful space, principal among them a brunette called Marina who lists her influences: "Britney Spears, gymnasts, cheerleaders, anything American!" The article said her band was called Marina and the Diamonds. I looked her up on the Youtube and found:


The first is on-concept (right?) but pretty awful. The second is a big mezcla of stuff that's already happened and happened (and recently). But it's good. I like her vocal, and the EP is called American Jewels, and I guess I'm flattered. I'll pass out the next time I hear a Euro talking about American politics, but please do go on and on about our GLAMOUR (it's major.....like, TRACE CYRUS, featured below [who obv recycles a lot of British ideas but ones that kind of started as American ideas anyway and in Franklin, Tennessee and Hollywood, Orlando, and Twitter...]).

No comments: