Mar 30, 2010

Verses

THE COMPLAINTS OF KHAKHEPERRE-SONB
British Museum 5645, a Writing Board

(Middle of the Eighth Dynasty, Middle Kingdom—)
(first three stanzas)

Had I unknown phrases,
Sayings that are strange,
Novel, untried words,
Free of repitition;
Not transmitted phrases,
Spoken by the ancestors!
I wring out my body of what it holds,
In releasing all my words;
For what was said is repetition,
When what was said is said.
Ancestor's words are nothing to boast of,
They are found by those who come after.

Not speaks one who spoke,
There speaks one who will speak,
May another find what he will speak!
Not a teller of tales after they happen,
This has been done before;
Nor a teller of what might be said,
This is vain endeavor, it is lies,
And none will recall his name to others.
I say this in accord with what I have seen:
From the first generation to those who come after,
They imitate that which is past.

Would that I knew what others ignore,
Such as has not been repeated,
To say it and have my heart answer me,
To inform it of my distress,
Shift to it the load on my back,
The matters that afflict me,
Relate to it of what I suffer
And sigh "Ah" with relief!...

No comments: