Jul 22, 2010


This is newly minted 16-yr-old Gossip Girl star turned touring tarty C. Love tribute act, Taylor "TMommzz" Momsen (we like how her band, The Pretty Reckless, sounds). And she's got a pack of Marlboro Lights tucked in her garter belt, a pair of 7-inch shake-junt' stilettos held limply by her side. Perhaps (Perhaps...) there's no more appropriate age at which to full-on stripper-junky-glamour it up (on the Warped Tour!!)--Go TMommzz! The real story here is the newly minted ban on the cigarette descriptor "Light." I imagine many pre-ban packs are still out there, in stock, purchasable. I have yet to see new packaging/marketing solutions...will they simply dissolve the products? Presumably, the endgame for anti-smoking evangelists is a snuffing out of all unique, branded cigarettes, or a cigarette company's ability to control advertising and package design. Like, one day all you'll get are government-issued packs with black lungs and dead fetuses emblazoned across, maybe just skulls and crossbones. Such a pack would look right in the garter belt of a TMommzz. But it's crazy (what we've seen the very last of). There is so much about Marlboro Lights. About all brands and sub-brands of brands of cigs. I no longer smoke, but I remember every single sort (and the particular phase of the package design) I smoked when and where, for what reason (I changed it up frequently---it was soo many styles!). I remember what other people smoked, and why, what each thing might mean, how that changed or remained the same. I didn't have to try to remember this stuff; I just did, because it was that notable.

2 comments:

Alpha said...

yes yes. I'm with you on this. I could regale you all with the smokes I've smoked, but more importantly...
this layout change!!! Love and light, bitch!!! I love it.

zbs said...

Following the elimination of "light," all the brands will adopt, as their official submarques, what people called them anyway: namely, "gimme a pack a those Marlboros, no, the gold ones."