Dec 11, 2008

I promised myself

I promised myself I wouldn't make a habit of posting the poorly written segments of Gwyneth Paltrow's weekly lifestyle newsletter, but, my stars, her paean to Los Angeles--

Los Angeles, where I was born and partially raised, will always hold a special place in my heart. Not the L.A. of Hollywood, but the old-school seventies beach vibe that which still lingers in corners. As strange, spread out and flatly lit as it can sometimes be, Los Angeles, with its bougainvillea, sea breezes, avocados and eccentric inhabitants, is like no other place and will always be in my soul.

and then again with the "vibes"!--

Shutters is my favorite place to stay in L.A. Make sure you get a room with an ocean view. It has a beautiful, breezy vibe, big bathtubs, good sheets. I return to it again and again

It's really not so bad. I just have an unjust tendency to be offended by this character and her tremendous blindspots. But, to her credit, when Paltrow starts to discuss non-descript, strip-mall Japanese restaurants, I have to get on board a little bit.

Sushi Katsu-Ya
11680 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604
(818) 985-6976
www.sushikatsu-ya.com
You have to go to the original, in the mini-mall in Studio
City. This place is heaven. The baked crab hand roll and
the spicy tuna on crispy rice are reason enough to go
to California.


Economic impossibilities aside, a trip out West would be really dreamy right now.

No comments: