May 20, 2009

The Recentness of Beyoncé Sculpture


On Saturday, we bought sneakers. Pillow, Petrova, and Able ambled (practically skipped) down Fulton Mall. Pet knew the best place (blasting Hot 97). In the space of ten minutes we had each spotted, tried, and purchased our (discounted) favorite pairs. Heaven.

On Sunday, Pillow and I talked about Beyoncé. You see, Pillow had bought House of Deréon high-tops. And I was reading this. And then we started playing the catalogue. And I downloaded two Sasha Fierce (damn that terrible hairdressery title) tracks. "Halo" (which Alpha dropped here first). And "Ego." And I'm serious. I've heard the pair of them about 300 times.

"Halo" kills me with the synth and the sentimentality. It's a discoed spiritual, as I listened to it on the train Monday morning I felt the whole chronology of religious music at my back (or really just Bach). And I thought, "Beyoncé is the truth. I want to hear this song on repeat. And Pillow bought those shoes. And who knew I needed religion so badly."

"Ego" is equally addictive, an anthem of swagger that comes in neat, strutting, aesthetic waves. The lyric poses her (and his?) ego as penis,"It's too biiig./It won't fiiit." Beyoncé's adventures in gender dissolution and mocking critics and marriage to HOVA! And it all sounds so damn good.

6 comments:

Alpha said...

Alpha actually brought up Halo first, but thanks for noticing...

Able said...

fixed! jesus i was half-dead when i wrote that. major apologies.

Alpha said...

Ah, yeah, no worries...

Anyway, Beyonce just makes me think of a room (okay, bar) full of gay black men (who call themselves Sasha Fierce) constantly asking me how I'm doing tonight because I look so sad. I should smile, don't they know me from somewhere, blah blah blah.

Able said...

so...sidestreet?

Alpha said...

we are to remain anonymous, Able...

Able said...

shit, sorry.