Oct 29, 2009

Teen Sensation


Twilight backlash is such a drag! I spotted these knickers on Jezebel, where they were the featured item in a post about fandom going "too far." How fascist! And when I clicked on the text link "Robert Pattinson panties" (that word makes me boof), I found a whole line of tsk, tsk, tsk blog entries decrying the little garments. But why? As a serious appropriator of images, I am charmed by them, might (if I still wore underwear) consider owning a pair (and this too!--what a trip!). There is a line in the Jezebel post: I'll admit that firstly, it's been a long time since I've been a big "fan" of anyone or anything. Really?! Oh no! She doesn't like anything??? I've had it up to here with the narrowness and humorlessness (or no-humor-but-our-own-ness) of the Brooklyn-based blogosphere.

Twilight is fabulous. The first film (and, I imagine, the soon-to-arrive second) was a style avalanche, a celebration of the extraordinary, near-terrifying lushness of the Pacific Northwest, of small towns, of high school and Lord Byron and glitter and Native peoples and cops and isolation. Oh my goodness. And R. Pattz really is divine. Divine. And people love it. People love him and his girl and the books and the films. And aren't we just sick and tired of mocking the multitudes? A&P is. Lookit:

No comments: