Jan 12, 2010

Two Songs For Tuesday

---I might have posted "Love Comes Quickly" before, this time 2009? It sounds like January. And I was reading an irritating back page of Allure magazine, tabloid style talking heads, pictures and captions: What trends are you so over? That insidious prig Zac Posen was published, "I am not interested in the 1980s." I dislike the notion of trends full stop; there are, of course, cycles-- re-sight, oversight, some renewal. But I hate the implied death, the waste and admonition of the "trend." It's tacky (monetary). If one must regard these alleged "trends" for conversation's (and convention's) sake, for answering a dumb question, a whole decade's contents or impressions will not do. He might have said, "I don't like the way the Aughts did the 80s, like the 50s in the 70s or the 70s in the 90s" (though that would have been pretty crazy and forbidding too). Androgyny and ironical excess, such earnest references to Modernism. And then music, where I sort of started without starting---"Love Comes Quickly" or a trillion others. Really.

---Disconnected from the last (outside of my commute this morning), Iyaz's recent superhit debut "Replay," which like Soulja Boy's "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" last summer, makes me wish I were a teen again in the halls of the Central High School hearing boys rif on the chorus flirtatiously. It's a compact, clever little gift of a song, calling forth pop addiction addictively, top-full of milkshake (or Captain Morgan) romance, parking lots, knapsacks, radios, breathmints, braids. Also, a dose of The Islands in winter--via jet or radio--is damn necessary; in Flatbush, one can think of little else...

No comments: