Jan 13, 2010

Verses

Daria, episode 1.13 "The Misery Chick" excerpt

(in Jane's room; Jane is sitting on the bed, wearing headphones and making some sketches, when Daria knocks on the door)

Jane - (takes off headphones) Yo! Come on in! (sees Daria walk in) Oh. Hi.

Daria - Are you avoiding me?

Jane - Um... not anymore?

Daria - What's going on?

Jane - Nothing. I just haven't felt like talking to anybody.

Daria - I'm not anybody, and I'd like to talk to someone.

Jane - But you've been talking to everyone.

Daria - No, everyone's been talking to me. There's a difference.

Jane - Well, what do you want to talk about, anyway? You don't care about what happened.

Daria - How can you say that?

Jane - You've been treating it like, "Oh well, another stupid day." The guy died.

Daria - I know he died! I'm sorry he died! But I'm not going to pretend that he was some great person when he wasn't. People aren't upset because Tommy Sherman died, they're upset because they're going to die.

Jane - That's understandable.

Daria - Okay, but you know what I've been hearing? "You know how I feel, Daria. You're gloomy. I knew I can talk to you, Daria. You're always miserable." Tragedy hits the school and everyone thinks of me. A popular guy died, and now I'm popular because I'm the misery chick. But I'm not miserable. I'm just not like them.

Jane - It really makes you think.

Daria - Funny. Thanks a lot. (starts to leave)

Jane - No! That's why they want to talk to you. When they say, "You're always unhappy, Daria," what they mean is, "You think Daria. I can tell because you don't smile. Now this guy died and it makes me think and that hurts my little head and makes me stop smiling. So, tell me how you cope with thinking all the time, Daria, until I can get back to my normal vegetable state."

Daria - Okay. So why have you been avoiding me?

Jane - Because I've been trying not to think. About the way we were making jokes about him dying and then, boom, it happened.

Daria - We didn't have anything to do with the guy dying. It was a freak accident.

Jane - Yeah, well, I don't like it when I say people should die and then they do. I don't want that kind of responsibility. At least not until I've got a job in middle management.

(pause)

Daria - You didn't make him die.

Jane - You're not the misery chick.

Daria - All right, then.

Jane - All right, then.

(pause)

Daria - He shouldn't have died.

Jane - No.

Daria - But he wasn't a nice guy.

Jane - (frowns) No.

6 comments:

Able said...

who died?

Able said...

oh that.

zbs said...

He made some good chunes though

Able said...

of course...and it is sad--not to do with his career in punk (there, it's a boon, really), but how he's just one of a common type of dude in midtown memphis who might, any morning, be found dead by his roommate just home from the bar.

Alpha said...

I've been quite vocal about his demise... more so recently... that was kind of my venting...

Able said...

and it was beautiful---i want to read the entire collected daria transcriptions