Dec 6, 2008

Chinese Democracy

"Romeo save me, I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting for you but you never come.
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think-
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said...
Marry me Juliet, you'll never have to be alone."

So I'm driving down the street yesterday, minding my own business, and (thanks to my malfunctioning cassette player iPod contraption) this fresh hell from Taylor Swift comes over the airwaves. I've been seeing her rodent face in the rags for a while now, so I decided to see what she was all about. Bad idea.

As a young'un, I definitely fed into the whole prince/princess romantic fantasy. Although, come to think of it, my fantasies were more dank medieval castle, giant fireplace, and luxurious furs than prince/princess...and I don't think "romantic" would really be the way to describe them...anyway.....

This "jam" just feeds the already fatty brains of young women, setting them up for a lifetime of sitting around waiting for a "prince" to come along to save them, complete them, impart meaning. The "Romeo & Juliet" theme is also troublesome, perpetuating that much-advertised lie that a romantic interest who raises the ire of friends and family is somehow even more desirable. Oh Lord, and the marriage talk! Isn't this girl 16 years old or something?

We need to sit the younger generation down and tell them that "Romeo" is just code for a bartender/musician with good hair and mother issues.

No comments: