May 6, 2009

Verses

"Sweet Side"
Lucinda Williams

You run yourself ragged
Tryin' to be strong
You feel bad when you done nothin' wrong
Love got all confused with anger and pride
So much abuse
On such a little child
Someone you trusted
Told you to shut up
Now there's a pain in your gut
That you can't get rid of
No one heard your screams
When you were nine
When bad dreams filled the summertime
So you don't always show your sweet side
You don't always show your sweet side

You're tough as steel
And you keep your chin up
You don't ever feel
Like you're good enough
You've had the blues
Ever since you were six
Your little tennis shoes
And your pick-up sticks
You were screamed at and kicked
Over and over
Now you always feel sick
And you can't keep a lover
Every Christmas there were presents to unwrap
But the things you witnessed
When you were five and a half...
So you don't always show your sweet side
You don't always show your sweet side

Someone deserted you,
The damage is done
Now you don't deserve to be loved
By no one
Hands that would feed you
When you were two
Were the same hands that beat you
Black and blue
You get defensive at every turn
You're overly sensitive
And overly concerned
Few precious memories
No lullabies
Hollowed out centuries of lies
You don't always show your sweet side
You don't always show your sweet side

I've seen you in the kitchen
Cooking me supper
I listened to you bitchin'
And I watched you suffer
I still love you baby
'Cause I know you
Don't mean to do the cruel things you do
I've seen you sewin' buttons on your shirt
I've seen you throwin' up when your stomach hurt
I stick by you baby
Through thick and thin
No matter what kind of shape your in
'Cause I've seen your sweet side
I've seen your sweet side

I've seen your sweet side baby.

No comments: